Tuesday, December 2, 2008

December

Today marks the second day of December, the month I favour most. Amongst the 12 months we have, this is the only month things are different, because they are not in order. There are usually nothing to worry about except for extremely trivial matters like, "should i have char koay teow or hokkien mee", "should i meet up with friends for a movie or stay in bed with my book" or "how do i get so and so to join us for bowling".  Basically, it marks the start of real holiday. And then of course, there's my birthday :).

I l.o.v.e my birthday. lol I'm 19 and I think I'm still slightly too over excited over my own birthday. I remember for the past few years, the mornings of 6th of December, I wake up with a smile on my face, literally, no kidding. I stare blankly at the ceiling of my room with this smile, which come to think of it, is actually quite weird. Maybe it's the prospective presents I can imagine receiving already, or the fact that I'm a year older, which signifies increase in maturity (hopefully) or the fact that I believe, on my birthday, nobody is to go against my wishes, just for this one day, just this 24 hours, this 1440 minutes or 86400 seconds. Oh, and of course I made myself a promise, that I will never have to work/study on my birthday. Anyhow, I don't know if its the fact that I'm a little more mature (haha) than I was a year ago, or that I'm away from home in a different environment, or this overwhelming exhilaration that I'm going home superseding 'MY BIRTHDAY' but I'm not all that excited about my birthday. While I was looking at the 'birthday alert' on facebook this afternoon, it just dawned on me that this Saturday, is my birthday, and it didn't really register, or rather, I just shrugged it off. 

So, my suitcases are pretty much ready to go. And while I have been elated that the day I'll be going to the airport, to personally catch a plane is almost here, it wasn't until yesterday that I REALLY wanted to be back in Penang. It wasn't until the moment I was walking out of the train at 6pm at Wynyard station that that immense feeling took over. I need a break from this pace. I need to be around laid back people again. I need to just relax and stop this routine. When the doors of the train opened, there were so many people rushing in, I had to squeeze my way out. And on the streets, people are just walking at this ridiculous speed, rushing to get some where. And of course, particularly, during peak hours, like 6pm on a weekday, all rushing to catch some form of transport back home. Everyone here walks fast, even when they're not rushing to get to anywhere in particular. When I first got here, me who walks really slowly, miraculously started walking fast because of the pace set by everyone else around on the streets. 

Then there's also this urge to drive after not having the wheels in my hands for nearly 10 months now. The urge so strong, I dragged my brother to play a game of daytona with me. Also, am suddenly sick of public transports and being driven and long long long car rides to get from one place to another. I miss the convenience of driving to that Chicken Rice Stall which is literally 8 minutes walk away from my apartment in Penang. 

So this year, there's one more reason to celebrate December, it's written on my Syd-Pg plane ticket. 

And I love Decembers.

No comments: