Friday, November 21, 2008

Sequence

I went to watch "The Duchess" a while back and I recalled thinking a lot about 'sequence' since. You know how from ages 0-20 everything in life moves in pretty much perfect sequence. Baby+Toddler=learn how to walk, talk and play your time away. Kid=Start learning to learn. Then you attend school, high school, university, graduate and work. But that's just generic. That sequence occurs because your parents expect you to do that. Your peers expect you to do that. The uncles and aunties and grannies and kpc neighbours look forward to stories like that. ..and then what happens next?

Truth is, life doesn't have to be in this orderly sequence but because we were young, and we didn't know how else to live, we let ourselves indulge in this convenience. And I suppose, it's safe.

The movie taught me something. Sequence is so bloody important in life. An example from the movie, you meet someone and think that person's THE one and get married. Then you meet another person and this whole feeling comes about again. Yet again, truth is, there isn't just ONE out there. And if you meet them in the wrong order, that brings about the whole notion of having a 'poor' sequence led out in your life. I say, that sucks. Then you have the dilemma, cause you have a choice now. Beyond the age of 20, generically, there is no sequence anymore. That's the thing about getting the luxury of having choices because doing the right thing, isn't just about what other people think anymore. It's all about you and how you wanna lead on. And when something goes wrong, and you disappoint the other people who were affected, just simply throw in "OH, I've changed my mind". And for safety measure, put in "sorry" cause most people think that's an important element too, to 'make it right again'.

But then again, I suppose, reality is so much more interesting than happily ever afters.

No comments: