...Bla Bla Bla...
Anyhow, I know I've abandoned this blog for some time. But I didn't have the inspiration to blog until 7 minutes ago, after watching Confessions of a Shopaholic. Yes, I LOVE the book. I love the entire series of the book because when I read the book, Rebecca Bloomwood wasn't a bimbo, for starters. I may not understand or know 'haute couture', but I accepted the many unique outfits and costumes worn by Sarah Jessica Parker in Sex & the City and actually think they are bloody fabulous. But in Shopaholic, Isla Fisher is all dolled up horrendously. Second of all, the movie was completely different from the book.
Rebecca was supposed to be working in Successful Savings as a financial journalist. Ironically, she is a shopaholic who has problems with her debts. Luke Brandon isn't her boss. She met him at press conferences since he owns a PR communications company, Brandon Communications. And so, one day, on her way to one of the press conferences, she saw the 'SALE' sign at a Denny & George outlet. Wanted to purchase a scarf, but realised, she left her credit card at her office and was short of $20 to pay by cash. When she was at the conference, she was trying to ask her friend for the $20 but since there were professionals from financial firms giving speeches at the front, she was caught busy talking by Luke who then asked her if she had any troubles. And she came up with an excuse that she needed to buy a scarf for her aunt who is terminally ill. Luke bought her story and lent her the $20. Right after the conference, she left for the store to purchase the scarf. THAT was how she got to know Luke. And they didn't go dancing at any restaurant on their first date. They went to the Ritz Carlton Hotel on their first date, for a dinner, mind you, which didn't turn out to just be a dinner of course.
And Alicia-bitch-longlegs works for Luke and isn't working for 'Elite' magazine!
Rebecca did not lie to Luke about Derek Smeath. She lied to her parents about him, that he was a stalker who is giving the excuse that she is in debt.
The whole sale of her stuff things did happen, and the auction of the scarf. And Luke bidding for it both on the phone and through the girl. They all did. But it wasn't in 'Confessions of a Shopaholic'. It was in 'Shopaholic Abroad' or 'Shopaholic Takes Manhattan', when she was going to leave for Manhattan, he went to the airport. With her thinking, her Denny & George scarf was sold, he pulled it out of his pocket and tied it around her neck. THAT was the part that got me so awestruck I read it 5 times :). And occasionally, last time, I'd still open that chapter and read it, just that chapter. *except, in my imagination, the scarf was shorter. Real short. Like those you tie around your neck to give it a bit of volume*
I love it so much, when I'm about to finish any of the books, I usually can't bear to read the last chapter. Because after reading the last chapter, that world's gone. And you know how, by not reading the last chapter, you feel you're kind of still mingling around them?
I'm extremely disappointed at how the movie turned out :(. I've wanted to watch it since I first read it so I could visualise the faces of Rebecca and Luke. So they won't be a guy and girl with dark shaded egg shaped faces. But now I can't. Isla Fisher does not match my idea of Rebecca at all. And so I've decided, for the subsequent releases of the books, I'd read them and continue imagining it with the unknown faces.
Great, it's nearly 12am now. And I haven't got my bag packed for work tomorrow. And I thought I'd be able to indulge in reading my favourite story book of the..month, A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini since I'm not doing any revision tonight. Aiya.
No comments:
Post a Comment